CUCUMBER KIMCHI (OI KIMCHI)
Korean cucumber kimchi recipe
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers (450 g / 1 pound), other cucumber suitable for pickling is ok to use, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp coarse sea salt
- 50 g carrots (1.7 ounces), julienned (optional)
- 20 g garlic chives or chives (0.7 ounces), chopped in same length as the cucumber (optional)
KIMCHI SAUCE (MIX THESE WELL IN A BOWL)
- 2 Tbsp gochugaru (korean chili flakes)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp grated red apple or asian pear
- 1 Tbsp honey or sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp Korean salted shrimps , minced (if you don’t have this add more fish sauce below)
- 1/2 tsp Korean fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced ginger
Cut off both ends of the cucumber. Divide the cucumber into 3 pieces then cross cut each piece length ways. You should end up with 4 to 5 cm (1.5 inch) length cucumber pieces. Put the cucumber into a large bowl then scatter the coarse sea salt around on top. Gently mix them so that the cucumber gets pickled evenly. Set it aside for 20 minutes.
Gently brush off the salt from the cucumber then transfer the cucumber into a clean bowl. Pour in the kimchi sauce then mix them gently. (If using) Add the carrots and garlic chives then mix with the rest again. Transfer into a glass container and cover.
Keep it at room temperature for about 12 to 18 hours then move it to the fridge. Serve once chilled.