TTEOKBOKKI (SPICY RICE CAKES)
How to make Korean tteokbokki!
- 350 g Korean rice cakes (12 ounces), separated
- 150 g Korean fish cakes (5.3 ounces), rinsed over hot water & cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups Korean soup stock (dried kelp and dried anchovy stock)
- 60 g onion (2 ounces), thinly sliced
TTEOKBOKKI SAUCE (MIX THESE IN A BOWL)
- 3 Tbsp gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp gochugaru (Korean chili flakes)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 stalk green onion , finely chopped
Unless your rice cakes are soft already, soak them in warm water for 10 mins.
Boil the soup stock in a shallow pot over medium high heat and dissolve the tteokbokki sauce by stirring it with a spatula. Once the seasoned stock is boiling, add the rice cakes, fish cakes and onion. Boil them a further 3 to 5 mins until the rice cakes are fully cooked. Then, to thicken the sauce and to deepen the flavor, simmer it over low heat for a further 2 to 4 mins.
Add the sesame oil, sesame seeds, and green onion then quickly stir. Serve warm.