Korean Kimchi Pancake Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ▢2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 2 cups Kimchi (about 420 g / 15 ounces)
- 1 Tbsp Kimchi liquid
- 5 ice cubes (about 100 g / 3.5 ounces)
- 2 green chili (optional)
- 1 red chili (optional)
- Some vegetable cooking oil , I used rice bran oil
- Homemade Kimchi pancake dipping sauce
- Make the pancake batter per the following. Sieve the flour and the salt. Add the water and whisk it well. Add the beaten egg, Kimchi, Kimchi liquid and chilies. Mix them well. Add the ice cubes to keep the batter cold.
- Pre heat a pan / skillet until well heated. Put a generous amount of cooking oil into the pan. Make sure the oil is spread all the way over the pan.
- Scoop out the pancake mixture with a ladle, pour it out on the pan. Make sure it is evenly spread.
- Cook the mixture on high heat initially for 10 to 20 seconds then reduce the heat to medium to low. (Cook and finish with this temperature setting.)
- Turn the pancake over when 70% of the pancake is cooked. Meaning the bottom of the pancake is cooked and the top of the pancake is also partially cooked. This makes it easy to turn the pancake. Press the pancake with the spatula a couple of times to make it crispy.
- When both sides are cooked, slice it into easy to bite-size. Serve. (Don’t forget to serve it with some Korean pancake dipping sauce.)